Completed Projects

Projects

BSCB Website

Rundown

For the past three summers I've worked at the Burlington Sailing and Boating Club Sail School teaching kids how to sail. The manger, Amy, was looking to redo the schools website and do it in house. As I had a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, I took on the job. I've made 3 versions so far, building upon what I learned from the previous version.

Results

The first iteration of the website was functional, but not particularly efficient. The second version crashed shortly after pushing due to a missing semi colon. And the third went off without a hitch! All in all it was a great insight into client work as well as creating workable designs that users could understand.

Website found here

Sailbsbc.ca

3 Screen Space

Rundown

As I was learning about how to projection map, I got the idea to do a reverse projection game console. I figured out how to hook up an Arduino to a Processing sketch and relay that input through the projector. After laser cutting and assembling the frame I set up the project to try out a simple Asteroids-like game.

I decided on this triple screen game console because I wanted the projection to be interactive, and because at this point I'd yet to make a tangible interface. I thought perhaps the strange perspective would be disorienting to users, naturally increasing the difficulty of the game.

Results

This was my first experience in both making an interface as well as projection mapping, and both have proved to be interesting spaces that I've yet to really return to. One of my current projects, Wands, makes use of the skills I learned working on this project. I missed many of the finer details, like adding weights so that the console can't be easily moved and have the projection ruined while playing.

I do want to delve further into more tangible interfaces and how they can be used to shape interactions, and projection mapping I've found to be a good toolbox skill.

Snowfall

Rundown

One of my first programs was another piece I called Snowfall. It was a simple processing sketch that would ever so slowly fill with "snowflakes" until it crashed. This piece was an homage to my roots as it were, by integrating a Kinect motion sensor into the experience so that the user could disrupt the snow as it was falling.

Results

I have a love/hate relationship with the Kinect. I love what it can do and the potential space for interactions, but I also hate the lack of response that just comes with a Kinect and screen. It feels like a hammer almost, but that's likely just my experience with it. That said I'd gladly return to using a Kinect if I can figure out how to fine tune the experience or reduce its limitations in interactable space

The Hidden Grove

Rundown

A collaboration with Johnathan Thielens, made in Unreal and shown on the Oculus Go. . This first delve into Virtual Reality was interesting; John handled most of the mechanics of the piece where as I designed and filled out the environment. We weren't 100% sure on how interactive to make the piece, settling on the torch and the rocks for simplicity.

Results

The limits of the Oculus Go were harder than we expected, the entire scene was meant to be filled with a translucent fog to add to the atmosphere but it just didn't render on the mobile versions. I'd be more than happy to dive back into this space with different goals or tools, as using it to test out my environment design comes with the concern of at what point the system cannot support the environment.

Poly

Rundown

I was assigned to make a game using Beta 3, a visual style game engine. The game, Poly, was a puzzle game meant to be a cross between sudoku and chess. Users were represented via a pentagon on a grid of squares. Randomly other shapes would populate the grid (circles, triangles, etc.) and they would appear with a number between and their number of sides. The goal of the game was to remove all the enemies by landing in the same space as them while you had a higher number. The game was meant to encourage smart thinking and tactical movements.

Results

I need to attempt to remake Poly as a web app of some kind as Beta3 just didn't work for it. Beta3's Free version gives a limited number of statements with which to write so the grid generating code, the movement code for both the player and the enemies, and code to eliminate a piece from the grid all had to fit in under 50 lines. In order to save on lines I made the enemies move randomly, which proved to be a mistake as there was no real threat to losing if you were not right beside them.